Shlomo Bentin died in a traffic accident on July 13th 2012. Shlomo was an amazing man and had a great impact not only on psychological and brain science but also directly on the lives of so many people. He had a unique passion for life and for scientific discovery. He was a strong man with a soft heart and his exuberant presence was always felt and admired.

This blog is a place where people can share their experiences and memories of Shlomo. He was an extremely lively man who cherished his family, friends, work and academic accomplishments and we hope this blog will help to celebrate his life as he always did. To contribute, please send your text to Ani Flevaris and Ayelet Landau directly or at remembering.shlomo[at] gmail.com

Thursday, August 2, 2012

From Anat Perry


Shlomo was one of a kind. I can't find the words to explain how much he meant to me.
He was my mentor from the very start of my academic life.
He taught the most interesting class I took in the BA, which made me fall in love with the field of Neuropsychology, and join his lab as a research assistant. From then on, I never left. I had the privilege of working with Shlomo as lab manager, and under his guidance throughout my MA and PhD studies.

I remember the first time I saw him come into the lab with a new poster for a coming conference, probably one of hundreds he had presented already. I remember thinking that I would never be so passionate about my first poster, as he was about any one of his. I would keep being astonished from his enthusiasm from every new project, new experiment, new results, new ideas. And he was full of new ideas.

Shlomo's passion for science was contagious. He worked day and night, and those who worked with him closely knew that the best time to catch a good quiet talk with him was probably 2 am. This also meant you could get 'urgent' phone calls from him, about a tough paragraph or about new results, at any time of the day and every day of the week. But I had no problem continuing getting these urgent calls from him 24/7 all my life.

Shlomo taught his students to always doubt him and others, to argue but also to listen and respect, to be open to alternative explanations, to keep looking for answers but mostly to ask more questions.

Working in Shlomo's lab meant joining a big family – Shlomo truly cared about his students, their wellbeing, their academic and personal lives.  Shlomo was the first and one of the few who insisted his office should be inside the lab, so he would always be a part of what was going on. Entering the lab you would encounter scientific discussions mixed with personal stories, political arguments, frustrations and celebrations.

Throughout the years Shlomo became much more than an academic mentor to me.  We shared stories about our lives and families, our frustrations from Israeli politics and our thoughts about the future. We argued and laughed a lot. He knew when I was going through tough times, and would find the kind words to comfort or help me. I loved and valued how Shlomo never hid his thoughts and feelings, and made sure to tell me exactly what he thought about my personal decisions – whether in future career dilemmas, in clinical practice, or in choosing my partner (luckily, on that we agreed… :) ).

Of course, working together did not end when leaving the lab. I always enjoyed coming to work at Shlomo's house, joining him and Miri for coffee, sometimes accompanied by their children or grandchildren. Shlomo and Miri's house was so welcoming and warm, and I had plans to keep my visits there long after my PhD was over.
Shlomo was one of a kind.

I will miss him as a teacher, a mentor and a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment