Shlomo Bentin died in a traffic accident on July 13th 2012. Shlomo was an amazing man and had a great impact not only on psychological and brain science but also directly on the lives of so many people. He had a unique passion for life and for scientific discovery. He was a strong man with a soft heart and his exuberant presence was always felt and admired.

This blog is a place where people can share their experiences and memories of Shlomo. He was an extremely lively man who cherished his family, friends, work and academic accomplishments and we hope this blog will help to celebrate his life as he always did. To contribute, please send your text to Ani Flevaris and Ayelet Landau directly or at remembering.shlomo[at] gmail.com

Monday, August 6, 2012

From Eric Perez

I heard the terrible news about Shlomo from a friend (Amir), when I was in the midst of preparation for my son's Bar-Mitzvah. Beyond the initial shock and disbelief, I was filled, like so many others, with deep sorrow.

I have read through so many of the posts written about Shlomo and I can comfortably agree and relate to so many of them. I worked for Shlomo when his lab was at its early stages, before it became an empire. Like many others, during the time I worked with Shlomo I have had the pleasure, and also at times the difficulty, to experience his perfectionism, his attention to details and his thoroughness. Trust me, facing Shlomo after stuffing up the connection on the EEG recording equipment, was not an easy task.
I wanted thought, to share with everyone, one aspect of Shlomo that I have had the honour to experience personally. Shlomo was not someone to go unnoticed (yes, it is an understatement), but I also believe that many of his personality aspects derived from his great integrity. When I was working on my masters in cognitive psychology, something I never completed despite Shlomo's genuine and caring protests, I conducted with him several experiments on face perception. These experiments, were eventually published as articles in renown professional magazines. Shlomo, despite the fact that he has put a massive amount of work and effort in this research, has insisted and ensured that my name is mentioned/published before his. I still recall the discussion we had about that, and how adamant he was that my name should appear before his. He explained himself calmly, without a single shroud of arrogance and in a very fatherly way, why he truly believed this is the way it should be. I was amazed and appreciative of this, to me this was another indication on how passionate he was about science and research and not the titles or "stripes" that came with being a great researcher.

I can easily sum my feelings towards Shlomo in one word, pride! I am proud to have been his student, I am proud to have been able to work for Shlomo and most of all, I am proud to have known Shlomo.

I will greatly miss you Shlomo...

No comments:

Post a Comment