Shlomo Bentin died in a traffic accident on July 13th 2012. Shlomo was an amazing man and had a great impact not only on psychological and brain science but also directly on the lives of so many people. He had a unique passion for life and for scientific discovery. He was a strong man with a soft heart and his exuberant presence was always felt and admired.

This blog is a place where people can share their experiences and memories of Shlomo. He was an extremely lively man who cherished his family, friends, work and academic accomplishments and we hope this blog will help to celebrate his life as he always did. To contribute, please send your text to Ani Flevaris and Ayelet Landau directly or at remembering.shlomo[at] gmail.com

Monday, July 30, 2012

From Noam Sagiv


15 years ago I spent a year in Shlomo's lab, as an MSC student. I didn't have any research experience in psychology or neuroscience. In fact I was just a physics/chemistry student who happened to read Oliver Sacks' 'The man who mistook his wife for a hat' and decided that the brain is probably more interesting than molecules.

In retrospect, it is a wonder how easy it was to join the lab with such limited background. But Shlomo had patience for anyone willing to learn and was committed to helping students who started in other disciplines get into cognitive neuroscience. This was also the spirit of the Interdisciplinary Center for Neural Computation (ICNC; Shlomo was of the founders).
Of course he was always busy and travelled a lot and managed to stay in touch even when he was away; we probably talked more often when he spent a couple of months in Leipzig - this was over e-mail before skype existed....

Shlomo's lab was already a little empire back then in many respects. I may not have realised until years later how privileged I was to be a part of this world-class lab. Indeed, the highly prestigious 'Israel Prize' he got earlier this year came as no surprise (the only question was the timing).

During the year I spent in the lab, Shlomo organised two international conferences (ESCoP and a smaller neuropsychology conference) where I first had a chance to meet some world leaders in cognitive neuroscience and face perception in particular (I was very excited when he led Vicky Bruce to my first poster, a study of the N170). That year was my gateway to the world stage and I'm grateful to Shlomo for this. This was indeed quite an extraordinary year with an extraordinary mentor.

At the end of the year I headed to Berkeley to pursue my PhD. By the time Shlomo started visiting Berkeley regularly, I had already left and moved to London. It's a shame I didn't get a chance to see him more often since.

Shlomo's untimely death is a great loss. My thoughts are with the family, friends and colleagues in Jerusalem, Berkeley, and around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment